Day 6

Today was my first full day in Geneva and I used my time to get a feel for the city: locating the chocolate store I will be visiting on Monday, utilizing public transportation and seeing what food options they have.

For breakfast, I had eggs and bacon. For some reason, my Airbnb does not have a frying pan, so I made breakfast in a pot. After breakfast, I needed to go to the train station to reserve my trains from Geneva to Brussels. Little did I know that these reservations would cost 106 Swiss Franks. I am glad that I have these trains reserved but I have a tough connection to make in Paris that I am very worried about. Soon, I went back home and set off to explore. I located Du Rhone Chocolatier. I was surprised how small the shop was. I will be meeting with the head of this chocolate company on Monday.

I then went to see the lake and the Jet d'Eau, which is a famous water fountain, shooting water 460 feet above the water level of the lake. The lake and the fountain with the mountains in the background are absolutely gorgeous. Like Zurich, they have many fancy stores. I went into a few and walked right out because of the high prices.








After exploring the lake, I decided to take the tram to see the United Nations Headquarters. I was quite underwhelmed. There was giant chair in front of the headquarters which was pretty neat. But the headquarters themselves were gated off. I was only there for about five minutes just to get some pictures.





I got everything I wanted to do in Geneva done in one day. I am ready to go to Brussels but I still have three more days here. Tomorrow I think I will take a train to Buchs, Switzerland to visit the Frey chocolate factory. I had been in contact with them before and they invited me to come to their facilities. Their facility is popular so they could not offer me any special tour or meeting. Hopefully I can get in on a group tour of some sorts. I am excited to get out of the city for the day and go back to a German speaking part of Switzerland. The train is a bit complex to get there so I am a bit nervous about that.


I am starting to realize the luxury that I have living back home. I can hop in my car and go anywhere. There is always food available at my house for me to eat. I have Wifi and a SIM card that works in America (PS my SIM card is finally working over here!). I am getting a bit homesick. This trip is harder than I thought. All the travel stresses me out and I sometimes wish my friends and family were here with me. I am managing along fine though and I need to realize how lucky I am.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4

Day 8

The Magellan Project: My Project