Day 3

This morning, I went grocery shopping and bought eggs, bananas, and blueberries for breakfast. I also bought a phone card, hoping that this new one would work. Unfortunately, I realized that my iPhone was not unlocked. I have arranged to have my phone carrier unlock my phone and I hope to have a functioning phone card soon.

After breakfast, I hopped on the tram and went to Starbucks. I figured I could use my Gold Card that already had money loaded on it, but I guess that's only a United States thing? So I paid 6,90 Euros for my vanilla bean Frappuccino that is normally $3.49 in the US. Prices are definitely higher here.

From Starbucks, I went back on the tram to go and find the local chocolate shops. The first chocolate shop I visited was Sprüngli. I went into the store, explained my project, and asked if they had any information about their chocolate. They said no so I just looked around the store for a while and left for the next chocolate shop. Next, I found Teuscher. I had previously emailed the owner of this company about my trip, but for some reason he stopped contacting me. I asked the two ladies behind the counter if the owner was here today so that I could talk to him. They called his office and he was not in. Again with Teuscher, I asked if they had any information about their chocolates and they said no.


                         Teuscher                                                                 Sprüngli

So onto the third chocolate shop, Läderach. I talked to a nice lady who gave me a bunch of pamphlets about their chocolates. She told me about all their specialties such as the "mini mousse" that is a combination of fluffy and light egg white and delicate chocolate, topped with a creamy fresh drop of intense chocolate. Additionally, they do not sell chocolate bars, but pour chocolate into large slabs. Customers can by pieces off the slab, usually resulting in different geometric shapes. Läderach was founded by Rudolf Läderach in 1962 where he revolutionized the production process of truffles. Today, the company is in its third generation. Läderach has a new chocolate factory in Bilten, Switzerland that allows the company to maintain full control of the entire production process. Although I did not find out what specific ingredients they use in their chocolates, I received an email today from the visitor coordinator of Läderach, inviting me to come visit their facility in Bilten. If I can arrange a train to get there, I hope to visit tomorrow.





Around lunch time, I bought a sausage sandwich and went back to my Airbnb. I facetimed my parents to check in with them and soon left for Kunsthaus. Kunsthaus is a large art museum in Zurich that houses some of the most important fine art in Switzerland. While planning my trip, I noticed that this museum housed some of the artworks I had studied in my World Art II class. I was very excited to go see these works in person. While at the museum, there were so many works from other artists that I had studied (Monet, Manet, Picasso, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Kandinsky, and many more). I left Kunsthaus and went to the University of Zurich and walked around the campus. The buildings are very old but beautiful. I found some dinner near one of the tram stops and got a wonderful view of Zurich lake. The water is so blue and the landscape makes for a great picture.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4

Day 8

The Magellan Project: My Project