Day 14

Today I chose to explore Bruges. Because I do not have a kitchen in this Airbnb, I purchased some bananas and croissants at a grocery store and just ate that for breakfast. After breakfast, I went to the Belfry tower in the Markt. The Belfry of Bruges is a medieval bell tower and is one of the main attractions in Bruges. The bells in the tower were once used to regulate the lives of the townspeople. The bells would ring on the hour for time, the start and end of the work day, important town events, and fire alarms. Today, there are 47 bells in the tower and the ring can be heard all over Bruges.

I climbed the inside of the Belfry all the way to the top of the tower. 366 steps later, I was released into a panoramic view of the city of Bruges. The view was absolutely stunning and the bells were loud. I could look up and see the bells working to produce their melodious songs. The steps were very narrow and I had to be very cautious on both my ascent and descent. People would be coming up as I was coming down and vice versa. I often stepped aside to let people pass so that they could safely use the stairs. People did the same for me. Here are several pictures of the Belfry tower, the views from the top, and the splendid view of the Belfry tower that I get from my room.







After the Belfry tower, I decided to go walk in Minnewater park. The park is beautiful. Many people are walking, running, and biking. This reminded me a bit of home and was a nice and peaceful experience. I also walked around and found some bridges with canals that were wonderful to look at and photograph. here are some pictures of my walk around the park and canals.





Update: Waffle of the Day: For lunch today, I had my Belgium Waffle. Today's waffle had strawberry and whipped cream on it. I could taste even more of the waffle today and I am beginning to value the waffle more than the crazy toppings. The waffle was very good. I have yet to try a waffle that I did not like. They are all so different but very tasty. Tomorrow will be my last waffle in Belgium. I do not know which one I will get so stay tuned.


After my waffle lunch, I decided to go to the Beguinage. Beguinage is a French term for an architectural complex that houses religious women who live in a community without taking vows or retiring from the world. Today, the Beguinage is inhabited by nuns of the Order of St. Benedict and women who choose to not marry. This is a silent area and is very peaceful. The white homes with the leaning trees in the front are quite beautiful.


Around dinner time, I had my first sit down meal of the trip. I went to Italian restaurant and ordered a Margherita pizza. I was the only one in the restaurant and I could feel the staff staring at me. I think they were also talking about me too but all I cared about was the pizza. The pizza tasted so fresh and I am glad that I chose to actually go to a restaurant for a meal.

I am loving Bruges so far. My Airbnb is lovely and is in the center of the city. Everything is within walking distance and there is no public transportation! I know I have been slacking a bit on the chocolate research but don't worry... tomorrow is a chocolate filled day. I have a meeting with a chocolatier at Dumon and I will be going to the chocolate museum.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4

Day 8

The Magellan Project: My Project