Day 12

Today was the day I was looking most forward to in Brussels: The start of Flowertime. This year, from August 11-15th, the city centre will be submerged in a festive fusion of flowers and fruits, the theme for 2017. The children of the city took time to lay out three small carpets of vegetables, fruits, and flower petals to create an original and playful piece of art. Additionally, the city hall will be filled with beautiful arrangements. In the hall, the selection of florists and the development of the creative concept is managed by Ghent Floralies, Flowertime's permanent partner.  Over 100,000 flowers were used in Flowertime and more than 20 first-class Belgian florists decorated 13 historic rooms.

This year, the theme "flowers and fruit" took inspiration from the urban gardening and farming trend that is increasingly emerging in major cities. I was blown away by these displays. Who knew that series of common vegetables, fruits, and flowers could create such beautiful artwork. When in the Great Hall, the displays were exquisite and the smell was divine. Besides the Belgium waffles, Flowertime was the highlight of my Brussels experience. Here are several pictures from Flowertime. Try to pick out all the fruits and vegetables you know. I'm pretty sure most of them are used.




These are the three carpets that were laid out on the large city hall square. As you can see, a mixture of flower petals, fruits, and vegetables were used to create these beautiful masterpieces. In the top right picture, I can easily identify several common vegetables: tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, cauliflower, cabbages, peppers, and potatoes. 




These were all displays located in the City Hall that were created by professional florists. 

After enjoying Flowetime, I decided to go to Bellevue museum. This museum outlines the history of Belgium. There are over 200 objects to view, each one forming a tangible memory of Belgium. Of course, I was drawn to the chocolate aspect of Belgium. 2015 commemorated the 100 year anniversary for Neuhaus Chocolatier's invention of the ballotin. The ballotin is the small box with four flaps in which chocolates are often packaged. This box solved the previous problem of the chocolates getting damaged after being placed in a paper bag. Here is a picture of the ballotin.
 


The basement of Bellevue museum holds artifacts from Palais du Coudenberg: a 12th century castle that overlooked Brussels. This was one of the most beautiful palaces in Europe and one of Charles V's main residences. It was severely damaged by a fire in 1731. The discoveries made during the various archaeological excavations conducted on Coudenberg are displayed all throughout tunnels underground. When I walked inside, I was a bit creeped out, I felt like I was in a prison chamber. There was a maze of tunnels and I was the only one in there that I knew of. 
Here is one of the tunnels and some pottery remains found during the excavation. 

I thought I would try again to see if I could get any information from any of the chocolate shops in Brussels. I went into one shop and the lady kindly sent me in the direction of the shop that actually produces the chocolate and the name of the man who owns the company. I went to the shop, explained my project and the lady said that it was not possible for her to help me. Oh well, I am sure my chocolate adventures will be better in Bruges.

Update on the waffle of the day: Today I had a Belgium waffle with white chocolate and sprinkles. This was delicious and is my new favorite waffle.

Tomorrow, I travel to Bruges. This is the city I am most excited for. From pictures and research, it seems very small but very beautiful. Zurich, Geneva, and Brussels have all been too large for me, especially Brussels. There does not seem to be much or any public transportation. Everything is within walking distance. I enjoyed my time in Brussels but I am excited to move on to Bruges!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4

Self-Assessment

Day 8